Should I induce vomiting at home when my pet ingests a toxin?

By: Carrie Davis, DVM – Mt. Pleasant Emergency

Should I induce vomiting at home when my pet ingests a toxin?

I do NOT recommend it for four main reasons:

1. Owners may misinterpret the ingredients and induce vomiting of a potentially hazardous substance.  With many substances, vomiting is contraindicated!

2. There is a risk of causing aspiration pneumonia.  Your pet should be assessed for ability to protect the airway prior to vomiting.

3. There is a risk of an object getting lodged in the esophagus on the way back up, which causes a serious emergency. 

4. We induce vomiting in the hospital by an IV injection.  This is much more pleasant for your pet than forcing nasty tasting hydrogen peroxide down his or her mouth.  Further, peroxide can cause serious HARM if given inappropriate dosages!  It is actually toxic and should be used with caution.

Please check with a veterinarian or animal poison control before you treat for any toxin ingestion.

 

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: